Saturday, October 21, 2006

The Matter of Hats

When I put on a coat and hat today, dressing for the early fall New York weather, I will have the opportunity to make a statement. Sports caps make a statement, especially in New York, especially in October. I could wear my vintage Yankees hat, a statement of consistency, loyalty over time. Their season was a bit of a bust in the end; a powerful team that could not overcome Detroit's superior pitching and a ragtag pitching staff that was suspect all season. Not out of disloyalty will I pass on that cap. It's not their time.

I don't own a Mets hat, but if I did I would wear it. The Mets had a great team, a great season, but fell just short of the World Series. There are lots of little reasons why they couldn't win it all this year. Even if they'd beat the Cards, it was doubtful that they had the pitching to go further. But it was not the pitching in the end that failed them. Their juggernaut offense screeched to a halt. No matter. It was a great season, and I would put the orange and blue on if I owned it. It would make a nice transition for the upcoming Orange and Black Holiday.

Other possible choices: a Los Angeles (of Anaheim) Angels championship, a vintage Twin Cities, the 2006 Fishers Island Annual Cruise, the V fishing cap, a nice straw number I picked up God knows where clearly out of season, as are the white Blues Rider caps waiting to be adorned. Then there's that snappy blue number my godson brought home from Barcelona.

I know which one I'll pick. The New York Public Radio Cap: blue crown and red brim. A team always worth rooting for.

1 Comments:

Blogger CatBird said...

Good choice, Blues Rider! I'll bet it looked good on you, too. -cb

23 October, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home